Thinking about making a Career Change? Now is the perfect time. It is an employee market. Companies are looking at job seekers with transferable skills and a willingness to learn. Some companies are even willing to train. Before you make a career change, below are steps you can take to increase your chances of success.
- Decide If You Need a Career Change – Are you looking for work/life balance? Do you need a more challenging job? Do you want to work closer to home? Are you working at something you enjoy doing?
- Assess Yourself – What are your favorite aspects of your job? What are your least favorite parts of your job? Make a list of possible occupations to explore and then research them on the internet and talk to others in that career field.
- Evaluate Future – Look at the trends for the career field you are considering. Is there a current need for this position? Will the need continue to grow or be replaced by technology? What are the typical hours? What is the typical pay and benefits?
- Make a Plan by looking at job boards, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Monster, Indeed, Glassdoor, Zip Recruiter, Career Builder and others to see companies that are hiring for type of position. Be sure to look at multiple job titles for that position.
- Train for your new job: Sign up for classes. Read books and magazines. Research on the internet. Participate in webinars.
You can make the career change yourself or consider a career/life coach or call a recruiter like Crown Services, Inc. We can tell you about current job openings and trends.
I personally know the challenges and opportunities of a career change. It can be intimidating or down right scary to make a career change. You move out of your comfort zone to a learning curve and meeting new team members you work with on a day to day basis in a different office culture. The rewards of a career change can be monumental!